Friday, September 24, 2010

Portland Head Light

Portland Head Light
If you ever make it to Maine, take the time to visit one of the most photographed Lighthouses is the Portland Head Light, tucked away by the edge of Fort Williams Park in Cape Elizabeth, just outside of South Portland. Lit in 1791 and automated in 1989, I'll let you read the sordid details if you hit the jump on the Blog Title.


There is a nearby Lighthouse Museum and you can walk around the park, and there aren't many ways to better spend a New England afternoon.

I had to rush down after work, and they'll kick you out of the park at sunset, so this was taken just as they lit the Lighthouse. For those of you looking for technical information, it has been recommended by one of my respected readers to make a separate blog just for stuff like that: HERE. I ran out of time, so this was about it for the keepers. When I go back there will be more.

It is not the exotic locale or beauty like this that make the most compelling argument to join a place, but it is the people with which hopes are shared and pain is diffused that makes a place missed when one goes away. After my jaunt, I stopped by the house of a family that has taught me just that. We simply visited in their living room, and if they were ever to be located in the likes of barren Southwest, they would make an oasis of it. I am learning, even at my age, of friendship, and expectations, my own selfishness, living and hoping, what it means to really take something personally, and put one's care into something, because even if it hurts, there is no other way to live or be. Because only in death is there apathy. In life there is hope and disappointment, fear and courage, pain and healing, colors and words. The experiences of life that prompts its own perpetuation and reaching for of Something higher.

Nothing profound today. Just enjoying the sunset and the friendships. Elissa, your people miss you here. We know you're doing what you have to do, but you won't be home soon enough.

1 comment:

  1. Elwyn,
    Beautiful photography and writing. I've recently been impressed and touched by the lyrical beauty and condensed thought of your writing.

    ReplyDelete