Saturday, September 4, 2010

It is the longing of the heart

to be at peace with God.

The rain falls outside. They tell us that we are getting the edge of a hurricane here in Maine.
The sound is somewhat soothing, I cannot explain. My colleagues at work accused me of being pensive at work yesterday and I could not for the life of me figure this out. I felt terrible because he and I usually take turns with our usual banter and exchange fun remarks such as only those who choose to spend their career dealing with children and their obstinate parents are able. But yesterday he pointed this out to me and all I could do was acknowledge it.

Usually something like this warrants some time in my man-cave (that would actually be my whole apartment in this scenario), but after work I went to have dinner with some friends, then went straight to bed. Maybe I'll get some on the ride to Vermont this morning. After 5 years of travel I have gotten accustomed to having my thoughts to myself on long drives, but a couple of weekends ago a good friend made a quite compelling argument and gave strong evidence that company would be enjoyable for longer than 20 minutes. Generally, I will come back with my own arguments but this time I'm keeping my mouth shut. Lately I've been finding myself put my virtual foot in my mouth more often than I'm used to. A driving partner is good.

Maybe that's why hitchhikers are so much fun. Then again, sometimes the smell gets to you.

On further thoughts, every time I speak I wonder what God has for His people that day. I am aware of what He has given to me, but those thoughts are mine and personal. When the words come out, when speaking from the desk, it seems to me as if someone else is speaking, and I am but a member of the congregation, taking notes no less. And we are all learning as one scripture is placed next to another. Conviction comes as if I am hearing the sermon for the first time. It's beautiful. It is the promise of God's love for His Truth that I am counting on...

Happy Sabbath!

No comments:

Post a Comment