Thursday, September 16, 2010

Charming at any age

Where does it go when they get older? You see it when they're little and wish they'd just hold on to it forever.

What I'm talking about is that innocent charm that is just so winning. I'm talking about that easy trust and how quickly it turned from suspicion. I'm talking about the fact that I didn't have to perform any song and dance to earn it.

What I'm talking about is an ordinary 2 year old little girl who, when I entered, looked at me with initial wonder and a glance to her mom let me know that she needed at least some reassurance. I wasn't about to win this girl's affection any time soon. Or so I thought.

I spoke to girl in a smaller voice, but like an adult. I don't believe in baby talk for ANYONE, no matter if you were just born today. So I spoke with her and talked her through some of the exam of her tender ears, delicate nose and sore throat. She didn't seem to mind being reassured by my words at least. But things got worse when we had to test her throat. She fought and turned and loudly vocalized her pain. But it was at the end of the test confirmation and discussing diagnosis and treatment with the mom, I made my salutation to leave, giving a wide birth and waving bye after that troublesome throat swab.

But when her mom asked her to give me a high-five, she reached out and said, "a hug, a hug!" What a pleasent child! I leaned over and a gave this little child a hug, and was greeted with, "no, a kiss!" How could you not be charmed by that! I leaned over and showed my cheek, on which she planted what felt like a butterfly's delicate caress. I can still feel it now!

And I wondered where all this goes when they grow up. Beat down with cynicism, and heart ache, and cares of growing up, no doubt. Maybe I'm simple like that. Because I wasn't charmed by cleverness and wit, and humor, and adventure, nor by a well-baked dessert or entree.

The seduction was by her unaffected tenderness, warmth and affection ...without an agenda. Just because she had it to give. And she wanted to give it to me.

Boy I love my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment