Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Vulpes Vulpes


On the way to work the other day, during what turned out to be the end of the January thaw, I spotted this guy.

Otherwise known as the Red Fox, this Vermont canine is more commonly seen than the Grey Fox. The Red Fox hunts rodents and this is the guilty look he was giving me this morning. Stopped in my tracks on the way to work, he was playing with it in her mouth, and just finished when I stopped the Jeep to pull over, pull out the Canon and wait till his curiosity turned his attention in my direction.

The narrow snout, pointy ears, and bushy tail (aka brush) give it the appearance common to foxes. Its red coat is remarkable and easily noted when you see it, but does not begin life this way. Though I wasn't able to stop and chat with it, you can Click HERE for some interesting facts. If he ran in a triathlon, his pace would be a 2 minmile! I think I could beat him on the bike, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment