Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Only if you want me to, Dad

That was the answer of the 4 year old young man, when his father told him, "E___, you're going to get two shots today, son."

What also amazed me was the calm interaction between the two, like they were adults leaning over a bridge, discussing how the fish were biting. As I questioned the dad, I watched the boy's reaction, and he was calmly sitting in his chair looking up at the father expectantly, with an expression of trust, knowing he couldn't answer my questions but believing full well that his father would give just the response I needed.

Just this simple interactions showed me what God wanted us to be like in order to enter into the kingdom of Heaven. How often do we, in any situation unfamiliar to us, try to figure out our way, or plan our way, or complain about the situation we're in. We love to murmur, because we do it readily, often, and unconsciously. We complain about what we have to go through, our heartaches, and trials, and difficulties, yet forgetting that Christ has gone before.

How much more at peace we would be, if we could remember where God has brought us from, knowing His strength and the power of His Word, and remember the cost of suffering He paid for us, and the work He is doing now in judgment. If we could just keep these in mind, then for each situation God leads us into, calling us to go through it, we can answer like Christ in Gethsemane, "Only if you want me to, Dad."






--
Elwyn Garaza
http://www.formspring.me/elwyng
photo.net/photos/egaraza

No comments:

Post a Comment