Monday, January 21, 2013

Cello Musings

Even as an inexperienced cellist, it seems like when making music on my cello, I am having a conversation with 4 friends of differing but agreeable personalities. The sanguine and gregarious A string, to the melancholy C string, with the thoughtful G string, and impish D string, all speaking in turn, as it were, around a table over a meal.

A friend and cellist whom I respect for his musicality, and thoughtful conversation, John Howe, described it as "an old friend" one time a while back when the topic came up of his current cello. At the time, I had no idea of the individuality of each, even at the lower price range. I suppose this should have been expected, since each is made from specific kinds of chosen wood. The organic nature of wood is such that even when shaped the same, there are individual differences in appearance, density, response that make each cello unique.

What has surprised me is the meditative nature of the endeavor. Playing, practicing, even tuning. It's almost as if a quiet discussion is being had between the wood and me. And the same way as if meeting an old friend over a relaxed Sunday brunch in a New England summer morning. Talk can flow and move over sundry topics of varying levels of depth and consequence. But more often than not, because of the friend, words are spoken that resonate within and find an expression without. The wood vibrates in response to the string, and a ringing is heard, unmistakable and without imitation. The relaxed but deliberate posture, the movement and motion of the whole organism, cello and human, these contribute to an experience unlike those described in other spiritual exercises.

Many of the movements are foreign, to be sure, but with familiar of anything comes a relaxed confidence with reduced effort. Bow pressure as well as fingers on the ebony fingerboard are coming with less struggle as well. Many hours still to go, but the enjoyment is palpable nonetheless. Not with any other instrument have I enjoyed the effort of learning like this. This may have more to do with the stage in life I am at or deliberate interaction with the instrument, but whatever the reason, it seems able to provide the excitement of immediate gratification as well as the satisfaction that it can only get better. I do not feel like I have to go through a breaking in session before the pleasure begins.

The final idea I want to address in this entry is one that I have considered important in my own life, but has surprised me to the extent in which it reaches. Satisfaction increases in my own mind when I can be of useful service. Music has proved to be more than a passing hobby or light amusement, but has provided a usefulness that I would never have foreseen when I first started piano lessons. Playing cello with some of kids at church not only builds rapport but confidence and enjoyment. Nursing homes and worship services enhanced. I had no idea I could be allowed to give to my community in this way. This has been quite a pleasant surprise.

2 comments:

  1. "Satisfaction increases in my own mind when I can be of useful service." I like that. :) I personally find it to be true as well, and I think it is essentially a truth about life if people would but open their eyes, but with that being said, it is so often overlooked. Keep your focus!:) I enjoyed reading your post..personification and all..:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that was a pleasant and encouraging read. I only have one problem with it though, "impish D string" (Impish- Inclined to do slightly naughty things for fun; mischievous)I happen to like the D string vary much! :D

    God bless :)

    ReplyDelete