Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sunset at Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, Maine


Acadia National Park is a remarkable place up in the Northern New England Region. I had the opportunity to bring my parent's there yesterday for Sabbath. They are visiting from Southern California, and drove more than 3200 miles. I was happy we had a good showing. My mom doesn't have the reputation for being a hiker by any stretch of the imagination, but decided it was fine walking around the rocks at the top of Cadillac Mountain. Arguably the highest, Eastern most point in the United States (those who argue say Puerto Rico is ... uh, ok.), it is rumored that if you sit at its peak and await the sunrise, you'll be the first American living in the U.S. to be kissed by the rays of the sun. I'd like to try it some time.

In the mean time, we took the driving tour (we only had a Sabbath afternoon), and my parent's learned the beauty of Vacationland, and "the way life should be." We couldn't watch the sunrise, but they were game enough to sit around during my intervalometric shenanigans (I used a stop-watch and released the shutter on my old 5D every 30 seconds, then put it together on my computer), while I captured the sunset. We closed the Sabbath, then off to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment