Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Scout Assignment: Vermont

Photo courtesy of Charlie Padgett from flickr.com.

So what I do before I accept an assignment is to look it up on Google, and check out its logistics on maps.google.com and finally check flickr.com to see what it looks like from everyday people's point of view. What I find can be somewhat interesting.

Barre is just outside of the capital of Vermont, Montpelier. Barre is a small enough suburb as to get eclipsed by the obvious point of interest in Vermont. What I found in the Montpelier region doesn't look as unfamiliar as one might think. My very first locums assignment was in New Hampshire, maybe it's time to close up my travels landing in New England, too.

2173 miles from Alamosa to Montpelier. The drive will be fun, and maybe it's time for a Yakima and bike rack. The route isn't one I'm familiar with and it brings me up instead of down, unless I swing by Dallas. Google claims it takes about 2 days to drive straight. I'm assuming they're calculating 60 mph. I don't know if I can drive that slow the whole time. I calculated 2 days of 15 hrs at 70 mph. That's a lot of books to listen to.

Montpelier has several towns all around it, all a quick drive. The hills are beautiful and there numerous State parks around and of course Lake Champlain just to the West. Boston is only 2.5 hrs south. There seems to be a lot of photo ops, so that should be fun!

Now all this has to be considered in light of my call schedule and available daylight time before and after work. We'll just have to see when we get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment